The European Day of Languages provides an excellent opportunity to celebrate languages and explore other cultures.
Language learning brings benefits to young and old – you are never too old to learn a language and to enjoy the opportunities it opens up. Even if you only know a few words of the language of the country that you visit (for example on holiday), this enables you to make new friends and contacts.
Below are ideas to celebrate European Day of Languages across all areas of school life. Some are whole lessons, others are short activities which could be used as starters or fillers.
- Greet both pupils and colleagues in a European language whenever your paths cross around the school. Why not decorate your classroom with Hello BUNTING in different languages – BUNTING – Hello Languages List
- European Greetings to use in class
- Hello in different languages
- Hello to all the children of the world
- Famous Multilinguists Quiz
- Try learning your times tables in another language European_Day of Languages Maths activity
- Test your knowledge of European words which are similar to English in spelling and meaning Cognates Quiz – European Day of Languages
- Test your knowledge of countries, flags and landmarks with a Europe Quiz
- Country Profile – carry out research to create a detailed profile about a European countryCountries-of-Europe-factfile
Science & Technology
- Learn about the construction of a famous landmark such as the Eiffel Tower and make your own model. Use problem-solving strategies to construct your models using a range of different media.
- What have you discovered La-Tour-Eiffel-Doodle-Sheet
- Enjoy some language taster sessions
- Basic words in different languages
- Can you climb the Eiffel Tower in French?– try the easy route on one side or the more difficult route on the other. How far can you climb ?
- Invite a linguist from the local community to share knowledge and experiences with a group of learners. Share photos, clothing, food, music, dance, customs & festival.
- Study works by artists from a country and create a piece of art in the same style
- Arrange a Eurovision song contest in your school with songs performed in other languages.
- Learn a verse of a national anthem from another European country
- Taste some European food in your lesson. Everyone loves an excuse to try some specialities from another country, French cheese, Swiss chocolate, Spanish chorizo are all winners Languages Food
- Research school meals in the country of your choice. Create a menu for a school meal in the target language.
- Host a café with food, drink, menu, ordering and decorations in the appropriate target language. Invite pupils, staff, parents & visitors who are encouraged to order in the target language.