The European Day of Languages provides an excellent opportunity to add depth and value to the classroom experience.
Register for a free European Day of Languages Festival Friday 25th September 2020
A FREE full day-long online festival full of activities for children aged 0-12, schools and teachers, live streamed all day long With classes in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Welsh, Arabic, Mandarin and Dutch. ! Schools can register: https://www.lingotot.co.uk/EDoL2020.html
If you prefer to incorporate the celebration within your normal school day, look at the suggestions below for different topic areas.
Cross -curricular ideas to celebrate European Day of Languages.
- Greet both pupils and colleagues in a European language whenever your paths cross around the school
- European Greetings to use in class
- Hello in different languages
- Hello to all the children of the world
- Try learning your times tables in another language European_Day of Languages Maths activity
- Test your knowledge of European words which are similar to English in spelling and meaning Cognates Quiz – European Day of Languages
- Test your knowledge of countries, flags and landmarks with a Europe Quiz
- Country Profile – carry out research to create a detailed profile about a European countryCountries-of-Europe-factfile
Science & Technology
- Learn about the construction of a famous landmark such as the Eiffel Tower and make your own model. Use problem-solving strategies to construct your models using a range of different media.
- What have you discovered La-Tour-Eiffel-Doodle-Sheet
- Enjoy some language taster sessions
- Basic words in different languages
- Can you climb the Eiffel Tower in French?– try the easy route on one side or the more difficult route on the other. How far can you climb ?
- Invite a linguist from the local community to share knowledge and experiences with a group of learners. Share photos, clothing, food, music, dance, customs & festival.
- Study works by artists from a country and create a piece of art in the same style
- Arrange a Eurovision song contest in your school with songs performed in other languages.
- Learn a verse of a national anthem from another European country
- Taste some European food in your lesson. Everyone loves an excuse to try some specialities from another country, French cheese, Swiss chocolate, Spanish chorizo are all winners Languages Food
- Research school meals in the country of your choice. Create a menu for a school meal in the target language.
- Host a café with food, drink, menu, ordering and decorations in the appropriate target language. Invite pupils, staff, parents & visitors who are encouraged to order in the target language.